November 10, 2022 @ 12:45 pm - 2:15 pm
The North Reformed Dutch Church
The journey continues on Thursday, November 10, at 1:00 p.m., as we take trip to the North Reformed Church in Watervliet located at 1501 1st Street. Join Diane as we visit a historic church that has been repurposed but still holds much of its historic integrity.
The North Reformed Dutch Church, referred to as the “Old Church”, was built in 1839 north of the Watervliet Arsenal. Another Dutch Reformed Church had been in existence south of the Arsenal since 1814, called Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Washington and Gibbonsville.
The steeple of the North Church was blown off in 1854, along with the Meneely bell, which had to be replaced. This bell was last rung during the Vietnam War. There were also two disastrous fires – in 1900 and 1924.
Many prominent families were members of the North Church, including Meneely, Schuyler, Oothout, Lansing, Witbeck, Gibbons, and VanDenburgh.
The congregation of North Church split in the 1860’s and many members in 1872 moved into a new church building at 601 Fifth Avenue which became the Jermain Memorial Presbyterian Church built as a memorial to Silvanus P. Jermain by his son James B. Jermain.
In 1968, North Reformed and the First Baptist Church in Watervliet united to form Christ Church. Christ Church closed in 2001.
The annex or church hall, which was built in 1865, today houses the Watervliet Historical Society and Museum.
The CSSC shuttle bus will leave The Beltrone Living Center at 12:45 p.m. and will return at approximately 2:15 p.m. This outing will require some walking and a few stairs.
To make a reservation, please call Diane at 518-459-2857 ext. 305.